President Donald Trump must release certain records of visitors to his Mar-a-Lago resort in southern Florida by early September, a federal judge ruled late Friday in a suit filed by a prominent government watchdog group.
Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) announced Monday that the judge had ruled the Secret Service must turn over the records as part of an ongoing suit the group brought against the Department of Homeland Security earlier this year.
“The Secret Service will complete its search for and processing of ‘responsive records of presidential visitors at Mar-a-Lago,’ and produce any non-exempt responsive records, by September 8, 2017,” the two-page ruling, issued by a U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York judge, stated.
In April, CREW, along with the National Security Archive and the Knight First Amendment Institute at Columbia University, sued DHS under the Freedom of Information Act for not disclosing Trump’s presidential visitor logs at Mar-a-Lago.
According to CREW, the Secret Service, a branch of Homeland Security, keeps such logs but refused to turn them over.
CREW spokesman Jordan Libowitz told NBC News Monday that his group would “release whatever we’re going to get” but said it was unlikely the identities and personal information of private guests of members other than Trump would be released.
“If the government refers to you as a presidential visitor to Mar-a-Lago, we are going to get and release…