At Fox News, Another Prominent Host Is Fired, and Another Week of Tough Headlines

Including daytime hours, Fox News remains first in total audience; last week, it notched its 19th consecutive weekly ratings win. But amid a series of damaging news reports this week about President Trump, the conservative network’s hosts stirred some skepticism among media commentators by instead airing stories about the Clintons’ charitable foundation — the Fox News equivalent of a greatest hits reel.

The exit of Mr. Beckel — one of the channel’s few left-leaning commentators, and known for his signature suspenders — also refocused attention on whether Fox News’s workplace culture had changed after the departures of Mr. Ailes and Mr. O’Reilly.

Mr. Beckel was accused of walking out of his office this week after an African-American network employee arrived to service his computer. Mr. Beckel said that he was leaving because the employee was black, according to the employee’s lawyer, Douglas H. Wigdor.

Mr. Wigdor, who represents 13 Fox News employees in a class-action racial discrimination suit against the network, said Mr. Beckel tried to persuade his client to withdraw the complaint during a meeting with Fox News’s new executive vice president for human resources, Kevin Lord.

Fox News disputed that account — and portrayed the episode as an example of its newly rapid response to internal problems.

“No one tried to persuade Mr. Wigdor’s client to withdraw his complaint,” the network said in a statement, noting that Mr. Lord responded to the employee’s complaint within seven minutes of receiving it. Mr. Beckel, who did not respond to requests for comment, apologized to the employee on Friday shortly after learning of his dismissal.

Mr. Wigdor’s firm also represents plaintiffs in a racial discrimination suit against The New York Times.

Along with Mr. Lord, the network has hired…

Read the full article from the Source…

Back to Top